Whether a rocket scientist or a dancer, we are all governed by the laws of motion. But how well do you really understand these laws that cannot be broken? In Newton Know-How, you can engage in hands-on, minds-on explorations that will help you discover the physics associated with the laws of motion! Come step into a world alive with action as you delve into force, friction, momentum, gravity, speed and more in Newton Know-How!
Newton Know-How provides kids the opportunities for an immersive exploration into the physics of force and motion including Newton’s Laws of Motion. Throughout the exhibit, kids can examine different kinds of motion – speeding up and slowing down; falling and bouncing; spinning and sliding, and much more! They can also begin to test how forces – pushes and pulls – change motion whether they apply it, if it due to gravity, and/or due to friction. Plus they can delve into more complex topics like transfer of momentum, collisions, chain reactions, angular momentum, transformation of potential energy into kinetic, projectile motion, and more. From early learners just starting to explore motion to older kids learning about physics, Newton Know-How has a variety of avenues for discovery and experimentation.
Can you figure out the best location to place your golf ball so it has enough energy to reach the end of the track?
Line up a series of dominoes in a line, then knock them over in a chain reaction! How long a train can you build?
Spin a golf ball down our giant funnel that models a gravity well. How many times will it make it around before it drops?
· Roll balls down The Spiral.
· Make a ball jump at the Ski Jump.
· Spin a ball through Loop-the-Loop.
· Get a ball to the end of Ball Coaster.
· Experiment with gravity at the Gravity Well.
· Bounce a ball into a hole on Ricochet.
· Build a domino train at the Dominoes Table.
· Try to knock down a wall at Build to Last.
· Explore collisions at Colliders.
· Use physics to beat the puzzles at Osmo Newton.
· Examine angular momentum as you test tops at the Tops Table.
· Try to get a disc to spin on its edge at the Turn Table
Remember to roll balls. Do NOT throw balls.
The William Stamps Farish Fund and Oxy