Sponsored by Congresswoman the Honorable Sheila Jackson Lee
In partnership with Houston Defender
With support from Center for Civic & Public Policy Improvement
Each year, the Museum honors the legacy of civil rights leader, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., with messages of unity, justice, and peace. These past years, his message has been especially important as communities continue to rise together to speak against injustice.
Join us as we honor Dr. King's legacy and recognize this year's Caryakid Award winner, Rev. Dr. Polly Sparks Turner.
See what's happening during our 27th Annual MLK Day Celebration...
Beginning at Noon:
- Jamie Perry Violin Performance
- Musical Selection/Medley – Dr. Kiana Williams "Lift Every Voice and Sing”
- Caryakid Award - the Museum's highest honor - celebrating Dr. Polly Sparks Turner
- Peace March
- “I Have a Dream” Speech Reenactment by Steve Scott
- Wheeler Avenue Baptist Church Praise Dancers
African Heritage Food Demo
11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Dream Art: What are your dreams for your family, friends or future? Use them to create a colorful cloud to display at home!
- Peace Doves: Design your own Peace Dove and write down what peace means to you.
- Star Promise: Make a Star Promise and recite and sign the pledge.
*Activities, events and times subject to change.