Monday - Saturday:
10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Thursday Free Family Night
5 - 8 p.m.
Sunday: Noon - 6 p.m.
FLIP Kits Family Literacy Involvement Program
Family Literacy Involvement Program (FLIP) is a one of-a-kind multi-lingual interactive learning program designed for early learners, ages 0-8, by a team of education professionals at the Children's Museum of Houston. In partnership with Houston Public Library and the University of Texas Children's Learning Institute, the Children's Museum of Houston's FLIP program helps develop early learners' reading and comprehension skills through family-centered activities in the home.
- More than 2,000 FLIP kits are available at 35 Houston-area library branches. There are 201 different FLIP kits available, grouped by age appropriateness. Check out our FLIP kit catalog! (Click here for the Spanish catalog)
- FLIP kits are:
- Focused on literacy development, and incorporate activities and elements in the areas of math, science and creative arts, among other.
- Freely available and easily accessible at 35 library branches across the city.
- Available in multiple languages (English, Spanish, Chinese and Vietnamese).
- Co-developed by a team of children developmental psychologists and early literacy experts.
- Packaged in kit form for home use with a multi-faceted approach.
- FLIP kits are activity packages that include at least one book-based public library resource, a reading guide for parents and multiple fun items that are used as part of the suggested activities.
- Any Houston-area resident with a valid library card is eligible to participate in this program free of charge.
- Families are allowed to check out as many FLIP kits as they would like. The checkout period is three weeks.
- This unique national program was first developed and implemented in Houston. It is made possible in part by a $1 million dollar National Leadership grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS).
- The FLIP program rolled out nationally in Spring 2011, expanding into additional U.S. cities.
Sponsored by: The Institution of Museum and Library Services, The Hamill Foundation, The Samuels Foundation and William J. Hill.