Tuesday - Saturday:
10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Thursday Free Family Night
5 - 8 p.m.
Sunday: Noon - 6 p.m.
Give the Children's Museum's tweets just a second to load. If you can't wait - check out what we've been twittering »
FLIP Kits Family Literacy Involvement Program
- More than 2,000 FLIP kits will be made available at 35 Houston-area library branches beginning October 2010. There are 201 different FLIP kits available, grouped by age appropriateness.
- FLIP kits are:
- Focused on literacy development and incorporate activities and elements in the areas of math, science, and creative arts, among other.
- Freely available and easily accessible at 35 library branches across the city.
- Available in multiple languages (English, Spanish, Chinese and Vietnamese).
- Co-developed by a team of children developmental psychologists and early literacy experts.
- Packaged in kit form for home use with a multi-faceted approach.
- FLIP kits are activity packages that include at least one book-based public library resource, a reading guide for parents, and multiple fun items that are used as part of the suggested activities.
- Any Houston-area resident with a valid library card is eligible to participate in this program free of charge.
- Families are allowed to check out one FLIP kit at a time for a period of two weeks.
- The development and implementation of this unique national program, to debut here in our great city, was made possible in part by a one million dollar National Leadership grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services or IMLS.
- An important part of the program is that all libraries across the country will be able to do this. In fact, the FLIP program will roll out nationally in the spring of 2011, expanding into additional cities across the U.S.
Sponsored by: The Institution of Museum and Library Services, The Brown Foundation, Fiesta Mart, The Hamman Foundation, The Hamill Foundation, The Powell Foundation, The Samuels Foundation, and The Vivian L. Smith Foundation.